Proposed Rule Changes for 2019 Game Play - Not needing to run the bases on home runs. - Men's home run total to be moved to 3 total per game. - Stealing - both teams having to agree before the game - one team says no - no stealing.
Schedules/Tournaments - Swapping the order of the tournaments - Men's tournaments first week and then the Women's
- Men's Schedules Option 1 - Each team plays every team throughout the season - play either Sunday, Tuesday or Thursday. Option 2 - Half of the teams switch nights in the middle of the season to play other teams. Option 3 - Men's Round Robin Tournament two weeks before end of year tournament to determine seeding of teams.
- Mid-Summer Snake Draft Tournament (around end of June) - Players submit their names to be "drafted" to a team and play a double-elimination tournament.
Game Regulations* - Must have 8 players to start a game, can add up to 11 including EH, if team adds to 11, must finish with 11 or take an out.
- First game grace period is 10 minutes - No grace period after first game.
- 55 minute time limit or 7 innings - In regards to innings, the next inning starts immediately after the third out is recorded.
- Games can end in a tie during the regular season.
- If weather causes a delay, time will be paused and resumed when play is resumed. Rain-outs will not be made up.
- Forfeits - If a team forfeits three or more games during the season, they are no longer eligible for the end of season tournament.
Rosters/Jerseys - All players need to have a similar color jersey with a number (June 14th is the deadline for jerseys of similar color and permanent number). Person without a Jersey is not eligible to play - if team total number of players falls below 8, it will be a team forfeit.
- Players must be 16 years of age at time of play, birthday can happen during season and then be eligible to play.
- All players must play 50% of games to play tournament.
- 50% of each team should be regular attenders of the church they are playing for.
- Home team is responsible for the official score book. *Recommended all teams should keep a score book for documentation players playing in games.
- Initial Rosters should be turned in by Field Cleanup Day, May 5th.
- Tournament Rosters are due by June 14th.
Game Play/Equipment* - Start with 1-1 count - ball hits the plate it is a ball - any part of black is a strike.
- Height of Pitch is 6'-12'
- Rapid City Church Softball will provide the game balls and bats (Men).
- Bats stay in dugout - no switching between innings.
- Men's Strike Zone - unchanged - Women's Strike Zone - Women's Strike Zone to 4" wider and 3" deeper compared to Men's (Updated 2018)
- Home Run Rule - 2-home runs a game per team.
- One courtesy runner per inning - Last out is the runner (Updated 2018)
- Any foul tip caught by catcher is an out.
- If a rule interpretation needs to be clarified, managers need to talk to umpires/field supervisors immediately, before the game is over to correct issue.
Umpires - Umpires are responsible for announcing scores and time left in between innings.
- Each Women's team has two umpires for one night. Consequence will be financial and not end of season tournament banishment.
- Each Men's team has at least four assignments of two people (total of 8), if you miss more than two individual assignment your team is no longer eligible for the end of season tournament.
- If umpires miss assigned games, team will be charged $10 per spot, per game. (Updated 2018)
*All rules not stated will follow the most current USA rules.